Welcome to my 13 Favorite Holiday Foods, in of course no particular order.
I have been blessed to have a mother who cooks well, I mean really well! Every Christmas Day, we say please, no more.....lol, but she remembers our favorites and includes them every Christmas.
1. Stained Glass cookies are my ultimate favorite, I think I am only one who loves them, maybe because there is genetic mutation and my kids don't like coconut. Their loss, my gain....literally. This All recipe version has pecans and my mom makes these with walnuts.
2. Scallops wrapped in bacon.
3. Chicken wings- Apricot jam, onion soup mix and Catalina salad dressing, though a search for this recipe showed a lot of recipes using Russian Dressing.
4. Seven layer bars- Who was the heathen who invented this decadent oh so sweet dessert? Another one that I pick at all day long. I think the recipe is on the Eagle brand can of Sweetened condensed milk.
5. Figs- Why I don't buy them during the year?
6. Lasagna- Not an every year meal, but my Mom learned how to make lasagna from her good friend who we call Mrs. Botticelli and is our honorary aunt. Their version is all cheese and eggs, you know, the good stuff.
7. Taco Dip- My kids insist that Christmas is not complete without it, after Weight watchers last year, I approach this dip with trepidation. Spread Softened 1 large cream cheese on bottom of 13x7 casserole dish, Scramble/cook 1 lb of lean hamburg, drain fat, add one 12 oz bottle of Salsa (regular, not thick)--> Spread this over the cream cheese, Spread 1.5 cups of Shredded cheddar cheese and 1.5 cups of shredded Monteray Jack Cheese on top of meat. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes, Serve hot with nacho chips. I admit not the healthiest dip going, but five stars with these boys.
8. Clam dip- This is from my husband's side and there is much critiquing of this dip based on who made it, Poppa, Sister or Brother. Another winner with the boys.
9. Cocktail meatballs- Grape jelly, chili sauce, onion soup mix and meatballs
10. Chocolate Cream Pie- I swear my Mom makes three of these. With real whipped cream and real milk in the cook on the stove pudding.
11. Gingerbread Cookies- Before our life with cats, the boys and I used to make a huge, simple gingerbread house with lots and lots of candy. I would make enough gingerbread to have a lot of cookies afterwards. Our first cat just enjoyed the sweets a bit too much.
12. Company French Toast- This is our Christmas ( and Easter ) morning meal, it's made the night before and I personally like it best as a leftover.
13. Shrimp- The dieter's holiday friendly food.
What is your ultimate holiday food?
Thursday Thirteen Holiday Banner by TeaTime Ramblings
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others' comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!
View More Thursday Thirteen Participants