Friday, August 08, 2008

Knitting Jag


4 corner dishcloth.JPG
Originally uploaded by jennymcb
If I haven't been blogging, then what have I been doing? Well, I am kind of in a knitting mode again. I also discovered Ravelry.com, where I can get lost for hours just viewing everyone's projects and all the gorgeous yarns. When I grow up, I want to work in either a local yarn store or a book store.

The first item found on the internet that looked interesting to knit was the 4 corner dishcloth, it was fun to knit it, but I could have done better on the grafting. I did learn how to do a provisional cast on....what did we ever do without the internet and tutorials??? This page has a bunch of different ones that others have made up and I like how the variegated yarn works up. I also finished up a striped noro hat after "borrowing" some yarn from friend at work. Love the yarn!

Then, two weeks ago, a friend and I went to the Knitting/Crochet show in Manchester, NH where we got see more yarn that was lovely to touch and look at, but pricey to buy. I did pick up some mohair yarn to make a simple stole for a Christmas gift and a magic loop booklet with some funky pink yarn to make socks.

This week I took a sock knitting class at the NH Knitting guild meeting in Concord where I learned that it really wasn't that difficult to do the heel. Who would have thought...after 3 attempts of starting, I finally have my first sock to the stockinette stage. I also have the stole going also, it's kind of nice to have two projects at one time, since they are two kinds of knitting in my book. Right now I am at the quick and easy part of the sock whereas the stole takes time due to the texture of the yarn.

The summer is flying by and we have had the grossest weather here in New Hampshire, rain, every day. How do people in Seattle deal with it? At this point, when the clouds are thick, I hate to see the sun come out, b/c I know we are going to get some thunderstorms.

Two of my boys are up in Nova Scotia for a long weekend with my parents. That was an adventure getting a photo id for my youngest, but it's all good now. It used to be simple to travel to Canada and my mom never had to get notarized letters to bring up all the kids that used come along with our family. I have my middle guy home and today he had his senior picture taken, we went out to breakfast afterwards and he helped me with the food shopping. It's nice to have that one on one time. Guess I wore him out though, I think he is napping.

Still doing a lot of reading and pestering the librarians every other week. There was a part time job at the library and I thought of it for a second job, but it would really cut into my being available to my sons and their activities, especially if my husband is traveling.

I do get around to read blogs occasionally, but haven't had the time for Thursday Thirteen. I feel guilty if I write a thirteen and then not be able to visit others. Do you ever feel that way?

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:05 AM

    Your knitting projects look like great fun! Do you have to grow up to work in a yarn store?
    Sorry about all that rain. You and janeywan are both complaining of it. I'm watching every plant in my yard wither for lack of water.
    As for guilt about the TT...of course! I feel guiltier than you do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see you are on Ravelry, it's a ton of fun and very addicting. I'm TeaMouse on there I'd love it if you add me as a friend. I'd love to see your projects.

    As for TT, I unfortunately gave up the boat awhile ago on that as I just didn't have time to visit everyone and I felt like it was time to give it up as there were some guilty feelings involved and some weeks it was quite a trick to get it done in time.

    I hope you get some sun soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back to the Blogosphere! I'm glad you enjoy your knitting so much, and your time with your middle son.

    A couple weeks ago I couldn't respond to my fellow TTers and felt terrible. I thought I was the only one until I read your closing. Are we thoughtful and considerate, or do we need help?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome back!!!

    Yeah,that's why I haven't been doing T1 because I don't have time to go and read everyone.

    I hope you are well girl!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I am also trying to learn to knit! They gave me some basics at the county fair. I got a little yarn and wooden knitting needles free. I didn't do so good and kept pulling my stitches out because of mistakes so the first try is down to about two inches now. Then I got some used metal needles and like them much better. . . but I get about 25 cast ons and 4-5 rows and find a mistake and rip it all out so I have nothing to show for it except that I am really great at casting on! lol I will give it another month or two and quit if I can't do any better. Heck, I don't even know how to perl yet or to finish it off. . .

    I quit several of my regular memes that I used to do also. I now do my Sunday one and Monday one and a once a month Monday one. Before I fell and hurt my hand and knees, I used to blog almost daily. Finally getting back into it today. Trying to catch up on reading blogs I missed the past two weeks and leaving comments first.

    Going camping for two days this week so will have to put something on ahead of time IF I decide to blog.

    ReplyDelete

Any thoughts or musings of your own to add?