Friday, July 04, 2008

Quiet Girl- Mixed Book Review


Today I finished The Quiet Girl by Peter Hoeg while enjoying the sun in my backyard. It was a dark book, a cross between Rosemary's Baby and Davinci code played out by circus performers in Copenhagen, Denmark. I chose the book based on having the experience of visiting Denmark over two years ago. The character descriptions were dead on about the Danish people and the hustle, bustle of Copenhagen.

The story is of a clown with extrasensory abilities to hear, and he is able to use his talents to find a kidnapped, young girl with powers of her own. There is intrigue with a religious order, government and big business interferences. There are characters that Kasper Krone the clown has to interact with to achieve finding the girl, some he can trust, others that he reads into through the sounds around them to figure out that they are evil. Throughout the book these characters return and that is my only complaint, it's all too convenient how some appear again.

Did I love the book? No, but I couldn't put it down. I enjoyed the book and would recommend it, but not as a beach read. I had to have time to read the book without interruption to keep up with the story. It was different from what I normally read and it was good for my brain. I am still trying to figure out the connections and how it really ended.

2 comments:

  1. Oh! A clown! I hate clowns but admit they are a most potent scary element. (Remember Stephen King's IT?) I bet this was way spooky. And of course the govt. and religious aspect lends paranoia to the creepy mix. Sounds like a good summer book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:26 PM

    I read a review of another of Hoeg's book, Smilla's Sense of Snow. It sounded interesting so I put a hold for it at the local library. Apparently Mr. Hoeg is so popular in this part of City because there's a long waiting list for him!

    Maybe I should get this book of his instead while I wait for the other one. Mystery appeals to me and your review signals to me that I'm into a good read. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Any thoughts or musings of your own to add?