In the middle of a wonderful winter season full of one storm after another, here are 13 winter musings.
1. Shoveling the roof- bet that's one activity that at least 42 of the states never have to worry about.
2. Boots- You know you live in a winter wonderland when you own more than one pair of boots.
3. Hats- At work we show off the hats that we have been knitting.
4. Bureaus- Doesn't everyone keep one in your closet for all the hats, gloves, mittens and scarves?
5. Snow days- It's that glorious time when you live for the moment and enjoy having no school. When I taught, I swear that teachers were more excited about the possibility of no school more than the kids. Even they would forget that those days need to be made up.
6. Slush puppy- No, not a food, but it's what you call a teenager who jumps in the snow after being in the hot tub.
7. We only call it cold when our nose hairs freeze when we go outside, not a minute before.
8. By the time our kids become teenagers, the arguing about dressing to stay warm has ended and a hooded sweatshirt is now the new winter coat.
9. When I was a kid, I never imagined that I would own snow pants as an adult! After 27 years, I think I have given up on downhill skiing and have gone back to cross country skiing, but of course it's now called Nordic.( my new skis are Fischer skis called Desire, I have no idea what desire has to do with skiing, but they sure are pretty!)
10. A stop sign becomes a challenge, b/c you can stop but can't see over the snow banks to see traffic and you must creep up to the road to check it out.
11. It's not just snow approaching anymore, the television news stations out do themselves in storm hyperbole: Storm of the Century, Stormwatch, Stormforce...
12. Because of the Blizzard of 78, we now rush to the grocery store for milk and bread, we're like Pavlov's dogs...just can't explain the need. Even if we have milk and bread, we still must go.
13. It's definitely winter when our idea of spectator sports involves standing outside in freezing temperatures to watch our kids compete.
Well my hat is done and I have some crocheting to do for Shelly's Share a Square project, I will be out and about reading blogs this week. Enjoy the snow!
View More Thursday Thirteen Participants