For more information about One Day Blog Silence, please check out the site.
It's Wednesday, the day before Thursday and I am overwhelmed by the week already. I had a fun idea for the 13 this week, but the events of Monday at Virginia Tech and today's news have just led me down another path. My list today is called 13 Thoughts and Musings. For background information, I am a mother of a college freshman, I have worked in the medical field for 20 years, and I have worked in a high school for five years, all of these experiences have led to the following 13.
1. The need for better Mental Health care- we have opened the doors of the state hospital and let everyone out into the world. We have forgotten the Mentally ill need more care and resources than we are providing.
2. Need a counselor? Good luck finding one, there aren't that many in this area taking new clients. What can you do, not sure, any suggestions on this one?
3. If your child is threatening suicide, it is not funny, amusing or a quirk, it's a serious cry for help that you are not listening to. All of us need to be listening and reacting.
4. We, society, needs to change how we think about responsibilities, our children are growing up without developing empathy for others. How do we do that? By our actions, volunteering and stepping up. Actions speak louder than words.
5. Media, why is NBC news putting the gunman's images and words on the air? Aren't they giving him what he wanted? How did you feel tonight seeing the killer's pictures on television? I cried, it disturbed me that this person got fame for such a heinous crime. What will be next? If this affects you, please let NBC know!
6. Maybe we do need to get aggressive, I asked my son what he would have done if a shooter came into a lecture hall. He said, " I would be the one either closing the door or jumping out the window, I wouldn't be the one playing dead." Easy enough to say when you are not in that situation, but what can you do to save yourself?
Do we need to teach our children how to protect themselves?
7. I still find it strange that my post on Sunday was about the increase of students on antidepressants and the popularity of PostSecret. Why? Maybe we need to get back to the idea of families, common goals, and a purpose in life. The importance of intrinsic rewards versus extrinsic.
8. Media??? Still shaking my head about the broadcast tonight, I even called our local NBC station during the news to voice my complaint.
9. Complacency, pretty comfortable place to be as long as life is good. I am thinking it's getting to be a scary place out there. What can I do? Get more involved with the activities that my kids are involved in. Get them out volunteering to see how lucky they have it and how good it feels to help others.
10. Religion, through all of this, I have prayed. I may not be a church goer, but I have those moments, right before I fall asleep that I have my conversation with God. (it's kind of funny, b/c my prayers sound more like a conversation than the stuff the nuns used to teach us)
11. Gun laws, it has gotten to be such a hot topic in our country. But let's have the discussion about handguns.....or about making the process, long and difficult to get a gun. Europe doesn't seem to have mass killers.
12. If what you hear or see disturbs you, speak up. I don't want to my news to be censored, I want to know what is going on. Let's reduce the shock value.
13. Hug your child often, show the love, but teach them that life is not always fair, we don't always win and we won't always get what we want. But that is life, it is not the reason to kill.
My picture for Wordless Wednesday is from Lubeck, Germany, a nice little town to spend the day walking through shops and enjoying the marzipan.
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!
View More Thursday Thirteen Participants