Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Busy Tuesday and School Discipline


Lazy Day for a favorite cat
Originally uploaded by jennymcb.


Amy had asked about our favorite pets on the topic of losing a favorite pet. This was Oreo who died when she was five. I will tell you that she is in my seat which she delighted in jumping onto when I would get up.

Just got off the phone talking to a friend about school and discipline. The conversation started b/c I called them to hear what their daughter had to say about the crackdown in the eighth grade. I like to compare what my son says to what others say, b/c I believe in the 50% rule, I believe most of what is said to me, but I know that I am not always hearing the whole story. Unfortunately, his class is the largest class in the district and many are getting punished for the crimes of a few. The boys' bathroom is locked during class time and they can only go in between class. I understand that middle school is a tough age, and it just seems to be a lot of punitive measures rather than good changes.

So what was the worst thing you ever did in school that you would admit to?
I tried to coordinate having my 6th grade class drop their rulers all at the same time, but Sister caught on to the plan when somebody yelled across the room to me asking what time to drop the rulers. What can I say? I was just trying to protest us having to wear our uniforms on a field trip to the Science Museum.

4 comments:

  1. Catholic school...I didn't experience it myself but heard a lot about it. I sassed an English teacher enough that she took off her wig and threw it at me. I got in trouble, but seeing that wig fly across the room and the sight of her plastered down hair made it all worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did she do it in front of a class? Did the room instantly become quiet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was in a Catholic boarding school for high school. Most of the classes were taught by nuns but there were three men on the staff too. One was a young fellow (to me) but he had 4 kids already. Anyway, to get to my point. . .

    I was a sassy brat back then. This fellow (teacher) was a man with little hair. . . lol He was almost bald! One time in Algebra class he asked if there were "any further questions." I raised my hand and said:

    "Is that your head or your neck blowing bubbles?"

    You don't want to know how those nuns punished me when they got wind of my disrespectful comment. I was just trying to be silly. geesh!

    Later in life, a friend told me a good question to ask at the end of class when that is proposed is:

    "Where does the white go when the snow melts."

    I have been using that for the last 25 years. Just this year, victoria on Tnet gave me a scientific explanation of the answer and it is no longer fun to ask. sigh

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:58 PM

    Oh my, I have a kitty just like Oreo (we have four indoor cats). Marilyn loves my chair, and she jumps up into it, unfailingly, whenever I get up. What's sweet is that when I pick her up to sit in the chair myself, she immediately starts purring and cuddles in my lap. :)

    I'm so sorry you lost your sweet Oreo at such a young age -- my heart goes out to you. She was a loved kitty, I can tell. You were a blessing to her, as she was to you.

    ReplyDelete

Any thoughts or musings of your own to add?