Saturday, May 12, 2007

A Book Review and a Homecoming


Took a week to finish a book, which is a long time for me. Today I finished True Believer by Nicholas Sparks. It was a very predictable read without any surprises. The main characters were likable, however the secondary characters were stereotypical in the extreme, from the psychic southern grandmother to the tattooed NYC friend. I would consider this book to be an easy beach read, a book that you can bring to the beach and put down, pick up and never lose your place versus the books that you can't put down. Hey, I think I may have developed a new book rating system.

We went and picked up #1 son today from college. He was ready to go and even had a bouquet of flowers for Mothers Day for me. For now, he is happy to be home and will be starting work this week. Let's see how two boys and one car will last. Luckily for us, his job is at a dealership and we may just pick up another "beatah". (For non-New Englanders, a beatah is a cah that you drive in the wintah, or to save money on gas when you have gas guzzling Durango)

Yesterday did turn out to be an incredibly busy day, from a work appointment at 8am, 9 holes of golf, middle school track meet, dinner and shopping at Target and Kohls. My parents got to see my #3 run in the meet and my Mom went shopping with us while Dad watched the Red Sox. #3 is going away to an outdoor/adventure camp with his class next week and we had to pick up some casual shorts, bug spray, sunscreen and a rain poncho. I am happy that I at least got the stuff 3 days before camp instead of my usual night before routine. I did look at some of the clothing at kohls and I just don't like the summer fashions, they're kind of trampy looking and I already did the peasant look 30 years ago in high school. Is it me? Have I already become an old lady shopper?

5 comments:

  1. I love N Sparks! Will have to check it out!

    I have an aversion to dressing like a tramp as well. I go for comfy and covered nowadays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jen,

    Happy Mother's day. No flowers in my neck of the woods. I just dream about them. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2:58 PM

    Hi Jen,
    You are NOT an old lady shopper, call yourself "discerning." Sounds like your life is hectic right now. Glad you have #1 home safely, and that your Mom & Dad got to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the "peasant" comment! I was in Kohl's today and was thinking THE VERY SAME THING! I left with no new clothes, just two pairs of sunglasses (buy 1, get 1 free).

    ReplyDelete
  5. the summer fashions, they're kind of trampy looking and I already did the peasant look 30 years ago in high school. Is it me? Have I already become an old lady shopper?

    OMG- YES!! And, add to that, I'm looking for a size 4, so not only are they all trampy, or throw-backs from my high school years...but, they're *for* HS kids so I look like some middle-aged loser whose trying to get back her lost youth, or something! LoL!!

    ReplyDelete

Any thoughts or musings of your own to add?