Saturday, January 09, 2010

Clutter and Hoarding

It was just four years ago that I wrote about the Stuff in this house, and some of it is still here. But each time I go to look for something, I now throw stuff out. An argument today involved me asking oldest son to pack up some of his stuff in his bedroom for us to paint his room. He wanted to know why....gee, maybe the textured blue and green paint with the skateboarding wallpaper border might be a little too young for you? His thoughts were for us to just close his door. Meanwhile, my husband put up another set of shelves in the basement so we can organize our Christmas stuff. Little by little, we will get ourselves organized here.

Last month I got a book from the library on people who hoard but didn't get a chance to read it before it was due back. I find the best way to keep myself organized is to either watch a show about hoarders, or to read about it. Two months ago I had a productive 2 hours going through the paper stuff around my kitchen. We are keeping up with it after now having a place for everything.

But you have to wonder why we got this way? As a society, are we easily influenced by advertising about the things we need? Guess you could call this a sequel to the brownie pan blog post. Anybody out there want some beanie babies?

4 comments:

  1. I was just talking about this to hubby today. I swear I'm going to get a roll off and start loading it. I hate STUFF! If I had it to do all over again from the start, I wouldn't bring something new in unless I threw something out or gave it away.
    Would that equal owning one thing or nothing? lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got a whole 5 ft box about 6 inches high with beanie babies -- I used them when I taught Kindergarten. Was saving them for grand daughter who wanted to teach K but now she doesn't want to so I am stuck with them. I even have the tags on them. lol They are taking up space in my storage unit. I could have given them all away and bought new ones for the price I am paying for storage. Be glad you have a basement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being a pack rat is genetic... or so it would seem if you look at my family. I think my grandparents & parents hoarded things because of their experiences in the Depression. I got it from them and rassle with it all the time. I've got most of my stuff pared down, but unfortunately my dear husband cannot seem to part with a garage full of stuff (and two shed full of stuff and an attic full of stuff and a storage unit full of stuff).
    Trade you my garage for your beanie babies?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't figure out how, in this so-called "paperless society," I am still forever buried under paper. Much of it is magazines, true. But so much of it is bills and change in terms and receipts for the IRS and updates about my 2010 deductibles and ...

    Keeping the paper tiger tamed is one of my goals for 2010 -- and the rest of my life, in fact. Let's see how I do.

    ReplyDelete

Any thoughts or musings of your own to add?